Saturday, March 01, 2008

I couldn't figure out how to describe him. He was beautiful, but not in the traditional sense. Or the non-traditional sense... He was simply: balanced. So I said this:

"I don't know!"

Nikki laughed at my incredulity. "Just try," She said.

"He's gorgeous, for one." I tried. "He's got curly, coffee colored hair (Black coffee, I mean.) and this incredibly smooth, but not too soft, olive skin."

"That's a good way to start!" Nikki was grinning. She loved this stuff. I think she once told me it was a way of life for her to know how people thought of other people.

"Oh, it's incredible, and he smells delicious." I couldn't help but chuckle. "He does! Stop laughing, you know what I mean. God, forgive me but, I literally have to keep a little distance sometimes because I just want to put my face on him and inhale. It's a challenge to stop at kissing his cheek just once." I had to pause, the last bit had left Nikki incapable of breath for laughter.

"You know," She finally calmed enough to say, and quite seriously. "You oughta be sure you're not still in the infatuation stage. I mean, he could still just want that one thing, and once he gets it... Well, you know. I don't want to cast any serious doubt, but I don't want you to be taken in by some player guy either."

"Nikki," Looked her in the eye. "How long have you known me? Like, since you were born, right?"

"Well, pretty much."

"Have you ever seen me even show interest in a guy like that?"

She thought for a minute before answering very slowly "No.".

"Believe me when I say, I don't intend to now. It's been three months, and I'm still being careful. I mean, until he starts getting serious, and I hope he doesn't yet, I don't intend to either. Even then, actually! And you know how I am about all that, I'm pretty sure we have talked about it before."

"Yeah. Do you still feel that way?"

"Of course, more than ever. But that doesn't mean it isn't difficult. I've even talked to him about it, I mean we do spend a lot of time together late at night, and I'm sure it looks bad, but I can't help it if other people don't think I can handle it. He works all day, and I work on the diner all night. He just brings me dinner and helps me bounce around some ideas to get the place jumpin' again - no pun intended."

"I know that, I've been there for one of those before. And, just so you know, I trust you, Dear."

"Thanks. Now, see, that doesn't mean we don't, you know, make out-- I mean, don't you and Noah?"

Nikki blushed.